Saturday 6 September 2014

What happens if you don't eat lunch and dinner for your 9:25pm flight

4 years on from the US adventures, I am now on my next solo adventure to the lush wet(season) greenery of SE Asia.

8:10pm
The check in was fairly uneventful. Being scarred from PDAs at the airport from a year 11 trip to Melbourne, poor Sam was not allowed to fully express his emotions at the Customs gate and was cut off with a quick hug.

The Customs and Security was uneventful but looong. There would've been every Asian man and his dog, most of whom were inefficient in removing belts and finding which pocket of which bag they had put their boarding pass in. I suspect that many of the Asian airlines such as AirAsia, Malaysia Air, China Air fly on the close-to-graveyard shift.

TRS was chockers. Again with the Asians buying up big on Louis Vuitton bags and Salvatore Ferragamo clothes but incredibly inefficient. I'm talking people with their luggage spread open on the ground because they didn't have the foresight to put the items in a plastic bag, or in some cases, didn't have the receipt. Honestly, I don't know how people survive in this world. I had a great guy process my claim quickly. I'm pretty chuffed to say that the Surface is now down to AUD1635.26! Again, Eric if you're reading this, thanks heaps again.

With all the rigmarole over, there wasn't much time for shopping. I did pick up 3 free full size L'occitane hand creams, which was part of an Ozbargain promo last week. I don't think the chick serving like freeloaders.

9:30pm
Unfortunately the flatbed I was looking forward to was all gone. Upon embarking the plan, I noticed that there were only 12 flatbed available. This meant that I had two seats to myself. Alas it didn't help that I still struggle to sleep on a plane, especially in the window seat AND with an extra seat.

11:16pm
There was a nice guy from the flight who was a born and bred Borneon, but attending uni in Malaysia. He was down in Australia as he tagged along with his dad's work trip. Saw mainly Canberra and unfortunately the Sydney weather didn't shine as it usually does. He is very into bikes though, so been having a yarn to him about riding. One thing to ask though - why would an airline start serving food at 11:16pm at night?? Malaysia time would be 9:16pm (at 2 hrs behind Australia) but that's still a bloody late dinner. Wafts of Malaysian food are now filling up the cabin. The chicken and rice have come highly recommnded.

11:17pm

Turbulence alert. Go back to your seats and fasten you seatbelts. it's going to be a bumpy ride! This is the cue for a cacophony of kids to start shrieking at the back of the plane. Thank heavens there is another 10+ rows between myself and the shrieks.

11:21pm

You know shit is getting real when the flight attendants have to go back to their seat. I pity them having to deal with any irate passengers who missed their dinner. Suspended flight service annoucement made. Unhappy grumblings from the rows in front (ha, ha !)

Between 11:30 - 3:00am

I started feeling ill after the food wafts were over. I went to the bathroom so I could sleep off whatever was making me queasy and clammy. 15 minutes afterwards, I was annoying the Borneon guy to get up so I could go to the bathroom again. Cue excessive heaving - only thing was nothing was coming out except for water. For the next 3+hrs, I spent it perfecting the hurdling method. This is when I use the backs of the chairs in front and behind (disturbing their lovely sleep) and launch myself over Borneon guy (without waking him!) and stumbling to the toilet as quick as I could. This occurred 5 times and I think at one point, I had passed out on the floor in the foetal position. I didn't realise the guy in front had reclined his seat. When I woke up, I hit my head on the seat and was stuck temporarily.












3:34am
The plane has rolled into KL a good 26 minutes early.
A sausage and egg mcmuffin and hash brown is universal in any country. I am set for the next flight now 😃












Note to all: I have already encountered a squat toilet at 4:30am. It was far too early in the piece to explore how to use these toilets so I checked every single cubicle until I found a good ol' Western toilet. Squat = 1, Nugs = 0

No comments:

Post a Comment