Friday 12 September 2014

Airport Perks - Wheelchair

Yesterday afternoon the hotel staff insisted I should see a doctor about my ankle. Apparently I looked like a turtle with a bung flipper.

The doctor took about 30 minutes to arrive to the hotel and diagnosed me with a sprained ankle, which I had already figured out thanks to Google. USD164 later, I was in the possession of some painkillers, cream to reduce the swelling and a pair of crutches which was meant for adults 5'2" and over. Reading the cardboard info attached to the crutches, I should've been using the children's size. It's moments like these where a travel partner comes in handy for support. I'd forgotten what it was like to be immobile - it sucks! Since I was on the second floor, I attacked the stairs with trepidation. I immediately stacked it and one crutch went flying down to the next flight of stairs. I have improved slightly since then.

I went out to the Red Piano for dinner and met up with David. We called it an early night since both were tired (he had a big night and ended up facedown on the kitchen tiles) so I was happily home by 8pm.

Did the usual packing and realised that I had bought a bit too much than I expected. The plan to have a lightweight bag trip was dashed.

=================================

Upon entering Cambodia International Airport with limp and crutches, I was immediately asked by the AirAsia staff if I needed a wheelchair. I initially declined because I'm not one to make a massive fuss, but eventually caved as they pointed out the merits of the wheelchair. This means being first to check in, not as much scrutiny through the airport checks and being first to board. The guy assisting was really lovely and went out of his way to make me feel comfortable.

Despite the bag being full to the brim - it is the size of a carry on after all - the weight ended up being 9.2kg, only 4.1 kg up from when I first started :) Quite cuffed about that!
Again, sorry Myanmar - I can't be supporting your economy due to bag restrictions... unless I buy a proper luggage bag along the way. Hmmm....

I arrived to the airport about 90 minutes before departure, so I thought to make the most of the free WiFi to let you all know that I have survived Cambodia :) It is definitely a country on the up and still retains it innocence and charm. Get here before it becomes another Thailand! Safety-wise, it is relatively good but the latest I stayed out was about 10:30pm.

The flight from Siem Reap to Bangkok is 1 hr. There'll be a 3 hr 20 min stopover in Bangkok before boarding the 4:20pm plane to Yangon. Should arrive at Yangon at 5pm and arrive to Bike World by 5:30pm


No comments:

Post a Comment