Saturday 20 September 2014

Bangkok - Scammed on the first day

Flew out from Mandalay to Bangkok on Saturday around lunchtime. Got talking to a Filo girl sitting next to me on the plane who had been working as a teacher in Mandalay. Her name was Monette, and we decided to hit up MBK Centre upon arrival at Bangkok for late lunch.

All was fairly uneventful - had udon noodles for lunch and Monette was trying to look for a particular shop from her last visit and I was trying to balance my 10kg backpack, plus 5kg day pack while hobbling along. Being a packed shopping centre, I bumped many people along the way.

When it came to catch a taxi, we departed ways at the taxi rank. Being a taxi rank, I figured it would be legit. Basically I asked several times for the meter to be put on, only to have a flat fare of 400baht thrown at me. I had a sense that something wasn't right but since the taxi was already moving, plus I had 2 bags and a bung ankle, I gave up and just went with it. If I had a good ankle, I would done a runner at a traffic light at the earliest opportunity.

Upon arriving at the hotel after the 'one hour, traffic ridden' trip - it was 20 minutes - I threw the money at him, called him a f*&^king cheat and liar, then spat at the taxi. I'm pretty sure he didn't care. If I see the dodgy MOFO again, I will punch him.

Upon reading the Lonely Planet guide and other online forums, never trust anyone who charges a flat fare. It's usually about 3 times as much.

The hotel staff were very appalled and sympathetic and informed me that the trip would've been 180 baht max. Anyway, lesson learnt.

Since it was about 6:30pm by this time, I just stayed in my room to email, Skype, eat my coconut and sugar filled buns I'd bought and catch up on more sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment