Saturday 4 October 2014

Bangkok - Chatuchak Markets

Sunday was basically Bangkok's last chance to redeem itself after the taxi fare incident.

It was a slow start to the morning - breakfast at 9:30am. Breakfast consisted of 2 eggs with toast, toast with jam, cornflakes with milk, a plate of fruit (dragonfruit, mangosteen, longan and rockmelon), tub of yoghurt, orange juice, two mugs of tea and a small piece of dry banana bread. God I love hotel breakfast buffets!

I had a plan to go visit Chatuchak markets as this is one of the largest weekend markets in Bangkok. Chatuchak markets is located right next to Mo Chit station and Chatuchak park. and is north of Siam I walked to the BTS Sky Train (brand spanking new monorail), which is 5 minutes from Bangkok Loft Inn. A one-day pass cost 130 baht (AUD4 - 5), so I made my way to the right platform to get to Mo Chit station.

The monorail was a smooth ride. It took 14 minutes to arrive at Siam station. The connecting monorail was on the same platform, so I hopped inside just as the doors closed. It was pretty easy to work out whether the platform was correct because the mass of people inside the first monorail shifted into the waiting monorail. Must be a popular market. From Siam to Mo Chit station, it was again very punctual and we arrived in about 10 minutes.

Giddy with shopping anticipation, I followed the shifting, lumbering mass out of the station and into Chatuchak Park. The markets were in sight and I was already searching for a drink stand. Being in air-conditioned comfort, I'd forgotten the weather outside was about 37 degrees and super humid. A chrysanthenum ice tea (complete with icy slivers) for 10 baht hit the spot. By this time, I'd relaxed my rules about consuming drinks with ice.

If you ever go to Chatuchak markets, bring some crumbs, rice, anything, so you don't lose your way. I spent about 4 hrs wandering around the narrow warren of stalls, stalls and more stalls. Occasionally I would come out of one set of markets and onto a pedestrian fare. On these rare events, the opportunity was taken to drink, eat and drink in the atmosphere, before delving into the shopping underworld. I must say that shopping-wise, I didn't buy much - a pair of kid's size 2 Converse for 350 baht (AUD12) and a pair of white/blue/red Tigers for 700 baht (AUD25).

I ate an amazing coconut ice cream for 35 baht (AUD1.20), in which the ice cream was contained in a coconut with shaved pieces of coconut and topping. I chose the lychee topping. I was also given a small cup of coconut water for free. I guess when the ice cream goes in the shell, you've got to get rid of the water somehow. Best 35 baht ever!

After I realised it was about 3pm, I wandered back over to the BTS station. I'd had a vague notion of getting off at Siam and checking out the shopping there, so decided to make it so at Siam Paragon. Let me just say - there's not many shops in the centre (most of it is taken up by Paragon department store) but it certainly was enough for me to stay four hrs inside the place! There was a massive food court on the basement floor, and 5 levels of shops such as Zara, H&M, Mango, Michael Kors, a Lamborghini showroom and an aquarium. I spent a lot of time in Paragon department store, mainly due to the fact that they stocked all the brands names and there was a sale on.

Long shopping story short: I bought a Baby G for AUD165, several pens for AUD0.30 (yes, I have stationary fetish) and two pairs of Steve Madden flats in shiny patent colours (yellow and coral) for AUD103.

Dinner was udon noodles in the food court for 85 baht (AUD2.20) and treated myself to a Cinnabon for 69 baht (AUD2.10).

I made my way home at 8pm. The day was topped off by playing Heroes of Might and Magic 5 until midnight. Yes I like outdated lame PC games.

Mmm... 6 hrs less flying time to get to a Cinnabon store!

The photo op outside the aquarium

TRES advert on the BTS station

Most of the Baby G watches had 15% off... except this one. At least it has a tidal calendar




No comments:

Post a Comment