Friday 3 June 2011

In ol' New York...

It's bloody amazing how much one can forget in the space of a few days.
I sat here thinking 'I really should update the blog with New York news'! When I thought about it, I couldn't actually remember much of it. Much of it was a blur.

Landed in New York from Miami at the time of 10.30am. I was excited because it meant I could go to the apartment, drop my bags off and have a proper New York lunch. Don't ask me what a New York lunch is but I had a hot dog from a stall in mind.

I waited and waited at the luggage carousel.

I had an uneasy feeling about the luggage because I had arrived late into the airport and my flight from Miami. I actually had a final boarding call and my name shockingly pronnounced over the loudspeaker. I was waiting for a bacon and egg roll while that happened. Off the topic slightly, it was a lousy bacon and egg roll - last time I go to a place that was recommended by Oprah in 2006!! I think it has more to do with the ingredients though - food from the US just doesn't taste as good or as fresh and natural as in Australia.

Back to the carousel - after close to half an hour of waiting, a guard told me to go to the baggage retrieval office. I discovered that my luggage had been put on the 2pm flight from Miami and would not be arriving to New York until about 4.30pm. This meant that I would not be getting my luggage till the next day. Luckily I didn't lose it with all the shopping inside otherwise smoe thief would've been a very happy camper (and eBayer!)

Caught the bus into Manhattan where there was plenty of traffic to poke a stick at. Finally arrived to Grand Central Station and left to my own devices. Since my knowledge of the subway was pretty decent, I made it to the Upper East side (40 E78th Street) to where I would be living for the next 3 nights. I loved the leafy area, the grand brownstone buildings which look like they come off a movie and the fact that it was half a block from Central Park.

I met Barbara, the lady who owns the penthouse I was staying in and shown how to use things like the air con, internet etc. She finally gave me the key and after a quick refreshing shower, I was on my way to stomp around NYC.

The day I arrived it was muggy, sticky, hot and over 30 degrees. It was so hot that a woman fainted in the subway and was cut in half by a train: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1393362/She-cut-half-Horror-Fatoumata-Diallo-21-killed-New-York-subway-passing-falling-tracks-train.html - it does get really warm down there. Perfect in winter but not so good in summer.

I traipsed around 5th Ave, Times Square, Chelsea, and just a whole bunch of streets soaking in the atmosphere. I came across the Flatiron building and was overjoyed because Arup had denied me visiting it last time I'd been there. The jerk. There was an awesome costume shop with every costume imaginable (except for a bloody White Rabbit costume!) at Union Square which I wish was in Sydney. Did lots of shopping for other people so my credit card wasn't too happy...

At night I sat in Times Square till about 11pm and thought it was the best city on earth!


Time Square (north)

Flatiron Building


Trump Tower on 5th Ave

Smoke stack from the subway below

One of my favourite buildings - Chrysler Building in background

No comments:

Post a Comment